The Connecticut Reading Association is a professional literacy organization. Membership is open to all classroom teachers, reading specialists, administrators, paraprofessionals, college and university students, and anyone interested in promoting literacy.
We are the local affiliate of the International Literacy Association and sponsor year-round leadership and workshop activities designed to support literacy instruction in schools, public and private, throughout Connecticut. Our five regional councils promote outreach activities to local schools and other non-profits to help foster literacy for all ages.
The mission of the Connecticut Reading Association is to empower educators, inspire students, and encourage our community to embrace literacy as an essential tool for lifelong success.
|CONTACTS: (as of 6/2016)|
President: Sandy Potts
Vice President: TBD
Treasurer: Cathy Mastrianna
Secretary: Cathy Grimes
Director of Membership: Susan MeaneyBoard Members:
Jane Logie (Past President)
Eastern: Kristen Stevens
Fairfield County: Judy McArdle and Cathy Grimes
Greater Hartford: Jennifer DeRagon
Northwest: Alison Huntington
Nutmeg: Susan Meaney
Some of the things we do:
- Our Annual State Conference with keynote speakers, authors/illustrators, exhibits by publishers, stimulate ideas and enthusiasm for promoting literacy.
- Literacy Awards and Grants for exemplary reading, outstanding teacher educator, honor council, conference scholarship award, Nicholas Criscuolo Administrator, literacy awards, YARC, teaching grants, council grants.
- Regularly coordinate with the ILA (International LIteracy Association) on international projects and programs
- Sponsor of Connecticut Loves to Read Day
- Liaison to Connecticut State Department
- Sponsor and support Parents and Reading
Visit the Connecticut State Department of Education to learn more about the Common Core Standards.